Saturday, March 29, 2014
2 top 10 entries and a revived #1? This week's chart is quite interesting, so let's take a glance!
Stop the Bats (Remix) returns to the top spot with the strong view counts still supporting it, though its total points are now 8660. The former #1, Stay (+Remix), had an impressive launch, but that inflation is finally gone, though it settles for #2 now at 5261 points.
#3 is an artist new to the top 10, Sim Gretina. Debuting a new remix of Hearts as Strong as Horses, he gains an incredible amount of views. Whether this will cause another dropoff next week remains to be seen. Also debuting outside of the top 5 is his track featuring frequent collaborator Kathy-chan, Runaway, at #9.
The former #4 and #5 swap spots, with Crusader (Are We There Yet) edging out Brony Polka by a mere 27 points! Note however that when March's votes come in, it and the following songs will not have the base votes to keep it high on the Hot 50:
- Devil in Me / General Mumble feat. Tellab
- Nightmare Night / Forest Rain
- Daring Do / Sim Gretina feat. Kathy-chan
- Taking Flight (Both Versions) / d.notive v.s. The Living Tombstone
- Ashes / Aviators
- When You Were Here / Mandopony
That will be in a couple of weeks, though, so don't worry! What will be happening next week, however, is the cleansing. Basically:
- Songs charted from September are permanently removed. The only song this applies to is Faster than you Know, which is currently #16.
- After that, any song that is not in the current Hot 50 of that week will no longer be actively tracked. However, if the song is voted (and still qualifies), it will get tracked again.
In any case, expect to see the chart pages updated in a bit!
Specialty Charts for the Week 3/30: The Votes Top 10 Fails to Shift / Stop the Bats (Remix) Regains Leadership of Views
|It'll change when we get new leading artists!|
As we do every Saturday, let's take a look at this week's specialty charts!
Once again, the views chart remains unchanged. There is however one way the chart can change before the monthly vote shift: there is currently a tie between #9 and #8, Set in Stone and Moonlight. If either someone votes for Set in Stone or the views tip in its favor, then it'll supplant Moonlight as #8.
Anyway, on the views front, Stop the Bats (Remix) by The Living Tombstone regains its top spot. Though it has declined slightly in views, now at 5250, the former competitor's 2 day inflation has finally quelled; Stay (+Remix) by Knife Pony has now settled at #3 with 3464 views, while Sim Gretina takes the #2 spot with his new remix of Hearts as Strong as Horses gaining 3612 average views in its own 2 day debut. #4 spot is claimed by the stable Brony Polka, remaining again at 2900 views, though slowly losing hold on the top 5 due to the big debuts. The top 5 is rounded out with another entry by Sim Gretina with Kathy-chan, Runaway, gaining 2250 views.
Check soon for the chart pages updated and the new Hot 50 info!
Sunday, March 23, 2014
Saturday, March 22, 2014
The Hot 50 chart of the week has been tabulated, and we have a new winner...well a new winning song; the artist is essentially the same. The Living Tombstone remix of "Stay" had a giant launch, giving it 11,000 daily average views (over 2 days) and easily dominating the Hot 50 and the View charts at No. 1. Last week's champion, "Stop the Bats (Remix)", also holds strong with a similar point total to last time, making this the first week two songs go over 10,000 Hot 50 Points (16216 and 10090, respectively). The No. 3 spot is held by "Chant of Immortality", boosted primarily by the music video released this week. It's worth noting that once again, the 3rd place song has managed a #1 monthly vote rank, which Stay (of which only the original was around for voting) and Stop the Bats (Remix) lack.
Rounding out the top 5 are the silver and bronze songs of last week, "Brony Polka" and "Crusader (Are We There Yet)". Despite the example given in the changes post of lyric videos, it turns out Crusader's video is unable to be tracked, so it is not able to take advantage of the latest rule adjustment.
In just a few minutes, the Hot 50 will be up in full to view!
Specialty Charts for the Week 3/23: "Moonlight" maintains a lead over a barely active voter base while Living Tombstone leads views with a new remix
Before we begin, let's summarize a few changes to the chart compared to last week:
- Ratio of votes to views on the Hot 50 has adjusted to 41:59 as opposed to 2:3.
- Weekly votes have begun, though there was only 1 other voter. I'm going to try to get more people interested soon enough.
- Songs can enter the charts also through Equestria Daily's spotlight feature, since we had only 2 songs get charted from weekly votes.
- PMVs are now tracked along with songs when applicable.
- The Hot 50 will also be revealed on Saturday, though its "print date" will still be Sunday.
With that said, let's take our usual look at the specialty charts!
Unfortunately, since there were very few votes, only 1 song had any measure of gain this week. "Laughter" slightly narrowed "Moonlight"'s No. 1 by 1 point, making the win only by a 4 point margin. However, since votes are not reused between weeks, this sadly went to naught. Outside of the top 5, there are a few rises though. "When You Were Here" by Mandopony gained a vote, tying it with I'll Show You My Loyalty, and Foozogz's "Hearts RMX" ties his other major charter "Behold". Provided we don't get an influx of votes, the next major shift in this category will come in about 3 to 4 weeks time, when the March top 10 is released and the October base votes are officially removed.
The views category, on the other hand, has had a major shaking up. The surprise launch of The Living Tombstone's remix of Knife Pony's "Stay" gave it two impressive launch days, averaging 11,400 views per day counting both versions and handily netting it the No. 1 spot! The lead over the No. 2 is a little less than half this time, as "Stop the Bats"' remix, also by The Living Tombstone, maintains a strong bow with 6,150 views. Behind it, "Brony Polka" falls to No. 3 while keeping a strong figure of 2,900 average daily views this week. A newcomer to the views chart is "Chant of Immortality", firmly benefiting from the PMV launched this week to net a solid No. 4 with around 2,869 points. Rounding out the top 5 is "Crusader (Are We There Yet)", which was unable to take advantage of its lyric video due to no stats but still produced an average of 1,900 views.
Come soon for the news on the full Hot 50 and an update to the main chart pages!
Tuesday, March 18, 2014
Just a few things I thought were worth clearing up about the charts for those curious:
- Like real Billboard, the official remix rule applies. To give an example from Billboard, two major songs that became top ten hits mainly were able to extend their reigns thanks to the rule: Cruise (An initial 20 week run usually means it's gone for good, but the remix featuring Nelly appended that run and counted toward its year-end success) and Summertime Sadness (Admittedly, the original wasn't around for too long, but it was the Cedric Gervais remix that made it to the top 10 under its banner). A more current example is Radioactive, which saw gains after the Grammys in part due to the newer remix featuring Kendrick Lamar contributing to its points. Likewise, in this first week of the Brony Music Billboard, two songs have had similar situations: Taking Flight (launching high into the top 10 votes and rounding out the overall top 10 due to the success of both the original version and The Living Tombstone's remix) and Someone Like Me (Though the acoustic version does not gain the base votes of the original since it is past the 5 month cutoff of base votes, it does still earn the views, bolstering it noticeably).
- Though it didn't apply to this week's chart, official PMVs and music videos will count towards a song's view points. Now, it actually has to be noticed by the artist and of particular effort and attention to count (i.e. just like amateur remixes, a 102 view simple PMV isn't going to cut it). A good example would be the Chant of Immortality video, which, by the way, is basically going to guarantee the song a top 5 spot thanks to several thousand views in just the first day! Note that lyric videos of a certain caliber will also qualify, such as the Crusader (Are We There Yet) one.
Sunday, March 16, 2014
Want to see a certain song get credit where its due? Want to help secure a song's lead or help to move it up the charts? Well, all you have to do is vote on this page. Some conditions:
- You can vote for 3 songs maximum.
- The song must be from at furthest 6 months ago, starting at the beginning of the month (so, songs from 9/1/13 are allowed until the first week of April).
Note that voting for a song does not guarantee it will appear on the chart, since there are also the average weekly views to account for. Also, weekly votes only apply to the week voted on, otherwise certain fan favorites would get to a vote count where they could last forever!
UPDATE: Voting is done at midnight EDT! As of now, no major placements have changed, but if you're fast, they might!
UPDATE: Voting is done at midnight EDT! As of now, no major placements have changed, but if you're fast, they might!
Our first Hot 50 has been tabulated, and The Living Tombstone is the first #1. However, before we go into detail, let's explain how this chart works.
As you can tell from the previous post, there are 2 categories that factor in: votes and views. In the future, there will hopefully be a good quantity of votes on this site, but until then, the base values used are from the TopTenPony monthly charts. Because of this, it only has a 33% weight on the Hot 50, while daily average for the week ends up with the 67% majority. Once enough votes come in, the ratio will become 50-50, but until then, expect to see the #1 for the views ending up winning the Hot 50 as well for a while.
Anyway, The Living Tombstone becomes our first #1 with his remix of "Stop the Bats", largely fueled by both his overall popularity and the popularity of show remixes to end up with over 12,000 chart points! Like the views chart, this is over 100% past the closest competition, which is again "Brony Polka", coming in at almost 4,800 points. "Crusader" ends up higher than the views chart at #3, due to its #1 for its month's votes, a feat the top 2 did not achieve. Meanwhile, the #1 for votes, "Moonlight", bows at #4, and the top 5 is rounded out by AcoustiMandoBrony's "Laughter".
Come soon to see the full charts for the Hot 50 and the specialty charts!
Specialty Charts for the Week 3/16: "Moonlight" entrances voters while Living Tombstone's "Stop the Bats (Remix)" dominates the views
This week's the first for our charts, and we're off to a big start with some large names heading the specialty charts! As we will in the future do every Saturday, let's take a glimpse at what's dominating the separate category charts.
The votes category is a little underdeveloped at the moment. In subsequent weeks, site votes will factor in, but for now, all we have are the base monthly votes from TopTenPony of the last 5 months. That said, this week's #1 is snatched by BLACKGRYPH0N & Baasik with "Moonlight", a calm song described by the artists as a great car tune. The duo have been no strangers to the popular vote in recent months, with all of their singles reaching #1 spots in their months and their second single "Crusader (Are We There Yet)" being voted #1 song of the year in the TopTenPony year-end chart.
Following close behind is Laughter by AcoustiMandoBrony, also the #2 of the February monthly chart. The 4th song in the "Elements" series, it also benefited from the exposure to the series produced by the special EP release of the first song in the series, "Loyalty", featuring remixes by top artists including the #1 of the views, The Living Tombstone.
#3 is the aforementioned Crusader (Are We There Yet), which is also riding high on views thanks to its #1 year-end achievement, #4 is Taking Flight, with points split between the original and Living Tombstone, both of which debuted in the same month, and rounding out the top 5 is Forest Rain's "Fluttershy".
As for the average daily views (of the week) category, The Living Tombstone has completely wiped out closest competition by over 100% with his remix of "Stop the Bats", still maintaining an average of around 7,500 views. Said competition arrives from AnimatedJames with his 9 minute Brony Polka, done in tribute to Weird Al Yankovic, with around 2,900 average views, and is closely followed by another remix of "Stop the Bats" entitled "Bats!" by Aftermath. Despite debuting in December, having a disadvantage in the votes category due to the focus on the year-end chart, it maintains an astounding average of 2,000 views.
#4 goes to Crusader as mentioned at 1,770, and the top 5 is closed out with "Moonlight" at 1,140 views.
Come later today, when the charts will be updated in full, including the Hot 50 itself!